All bursaries adjudicated by the University of Victoria are administered by the Senate Committee on Awards. Grants, loans and Work Study positions are administered by the Student Financial Aid Services staff.
To be eligible for a bursary offered by the University of Victoria, an undergraduate student must maintain registration in a minimum of 60% of a full course load (4.5 units or more) for credit in each term for which they receive a bursary. Students with a permanent disability must maintain registration in a minimum of 40% of a full course load (3.0 units or more) for credit in each term to qualify for bursary assistance. Graduate students must meet the definition of full time status as defined by the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
Where applications are necessary, the deadline for submission of application forms is specified for each bursary.
Except where the donor directs otherwise, the proceeds of bursaries issued by or though the University will be applied towards the total fees for the academic year. If the amount of the bursary or bursaries exceeds the unpaid total fees for the academic year, the excess balance will be paid to the student. Proceeds from government loans, grants, and Work Study are paid directly to the student.
Any awards may be withheld or cancelled for any of the following reasons: lack of suitable candidates; failure to meet terms and conditions of award; withdrawal from the University; withdrawal of the award by the donor.
If for any reason the original recipient becomes ineligible, the allocated funds may be reassigned to other students.
Unless otherwise noted, all assistance available in this section is limited to Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Any bursary, grant, loan or Work Study position is an award based on financial need.
- A bursary is a non-repayable monetary award based on financial need and reasonable academic standing, as determined by the Senate Committee on Awards.
- A grant is a non-repayable monetary award based on financial need as determined by the office or agency mentioned in the award.
- loan is a repayable monetary award based on financial need.
- A Work Study position is a subsidised job on campus, allocated on the basis of financial need as demonstrated on a Application for Work Study form.