Last year UVic awarded over 2.6 million dollars in scholarships to continuing students. Scholarship recipients are determined one of three ways:
- Student Application Scholarships require students to submit either a paper or online application as well as supporting documentation. GPA and other scholarship-specific criteria are used to assess eligibility. Students may access the online application between April 2 – May 31, 2013. See details and a listing of these scholarships.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) Scholarships are awarded based on academic excellence in 12 units of study in any two terms in the previous academic year (May-April), or 6 units for students who took an official UVic coop the previous year. Students are not required to apply for these scholarship. See a listing of these scholarships.
- Departmentally Recommended Scholarships are awarded based on GPA and other scholarship-specific criteria, through a recommendation by the student’s department. Some require an application, available from the specific department. See a full listing of scholarships.
Medals and Prizes
In addition to scholarships, UVic awards various medals and prizes. These awards are selected through department recommendations. Details are included in the List of Scholarships and Bursaries
Key Eligibility Points
While some scholarship eligibility criteria may vary there are some general requirements that apply to all scholarships:
- Recipients must be registered in full time studies at the University of Victoria during the academic year as GPA will be based on 12 units of study during this session.
- For coop students who may not be registered in academic units between September to April, GPA will be based on the last two academic terms.
- Scholarship recipients are notified in August each year.
- Scholarship funds are deposited directly into student tuition accounts at the start of each academic year and will be applied toward the cost of tuition and fees.
View a full list of Scholarship Regulations
The Rhodes Scholarship Canadian Application is open.
Applications and ALL supporting documents must be received in the SAFA office by FRIDAY AUGUST 30th, 2013 at 4pm. No extensions will be granted.
The Rhodes Scholarships are postgraduate awards which will cover two years of study at Oxford. Rhodes Scholarships will cover all Oxford University and College fees, a personal stipend and one economy class airfare to Oxford at the start of the Scholarship, as well as an economy flight back to the student's home country at the conclusion of the Scholarship.
Rhodes Trust Conditions of Eligibility. A candidate must:
be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (students who are attending a Canadian university on a visa are not eligible to apply);
be domiciled in Canada;
have been born between October 2, 1989 and October 1, 1995;
have received an undergraduate degree before taking up the Scholarship.
The Rhodes Application Process for UVic Students
To learn more about The Rhodes Scholarship and watch Glimpses of Rhodes videos please visit http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/page/about
*ConocoPhillips scholarship winners will be selected by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) in June and will be notified in mid summer.
Applicants not selected will not be notified.
Online In-Course Application
The Online In-Course Application is now open until May 31st, 2013.
Students can access the application through their UVic MyPage
in the Student Services section, under the Finances tab.
- Scholarship winners will be notified in mid-August and scholarship funds will be deposited into student tuition accounts on the first day of classes in September.
Some scholarships require a specific application form which you must get from the relevant faculty or department, or you may need to apply by printing and completing the Paper Application below.
Be sure to check with your department first, to ensure you are using the correct application.
List of Bursaries and Scholarships
A description of all awards (bursaries, scholarships, medals and prizes) is available by clicking on the link below. This section of this website is organized by Faculty or Department.